Rowallane House was built in 1861 and is the headquarters of the National Trust in Northern Ireland. It is celebrated as a plantsman’s garden, notable for the arrangement and variety of its exotic collection of trees, shrubs, plants and bulbs. Its origins lie in a garden made in the mid-1860s by the Reverend John Moore (d.1903), but, as it is now, it is essentially the creation of his nephew, Mr Hugh William Armytage Moore (1873–1954), and was laid out between 1903 and 1955. It was given and endowed by the Ulster Land Fund in 1956. It contains three paintings commissioned by the National Trust’s Foundation for Art, two of them celebrating the last surviving, working, water-driven spade mill in Ireland.
National Trust, Rowallane
Saintfield, County Down BT24 7LH Northern Ireland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit