Ardress House, built by 1705 but modernised between 1778 and 1783 by the architect-owner George Ensor (1724–1803), which included adding a portico on the east front, and having its wall and ceilings plastered by the native stuccador, Michael Stapleton to create one of the finest Neoclassical drawing-rooms in Ireland, is, otherwise, a modest Irish country house, bought, virtually devoid of contents, from Captain Charles Howard Ensor (1878–1963), via the Ulster Land Fund, by the National Trust in 1960. The paintings come from the collection of Patrick, Earl Castle Stewart, and include a portrait of a solider by the Bolognese artist Bartolomeo Passarotti.
National Trust, Ardress House
64 Ardress Road, Annaghmore, Portadown, County Armagh BT62 1SQ Northern Ireland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit
25 June 2021
Meet Andy & Ella. #BringYourDogToWorkDay Gardener Andy found Ella as a stray @NTCastleWard many years ago. Ella loves to join Andy on his adventures and is partial to a snooze under his desk. Everyone knows when Andy has arrived at work as they hear Ella's pitter patter first. https://t.co/YT5sEjUVCZ