Baddesley Clinton, with its mixture of stone and half-timbering and truffled with priest holes, is a moated manor in the Forest of Arden, originally dating from the thirteen century. It was acquired by the Catholic Ferrers family in 1517. In the nineteenth century, resembling a contemporary tragi-comic Victorian novel, the household was a quartet, consisting of Marmion Edward Ferrers, ‘the Old Squire’ (1813–1884), his wife, Rebecca Dulcibella Orpen (1839–1923), whom he married in 1867, his friend Edward Heneage Dering (1826–1892), and her aunt Georgiana, Lady Chatterton, née Iremonger (1806–1876), the novelist, who had retained her title and the name of her deceased first husband, Sir William Chatterton (1787–1855), even after marrying Dering in 1859. Dering later married Rebecca Dulcibella in 1885 and it is her religious art works that dominate throughout. Thomas Weaving Ferrers-Walker (1925–2006) and his son restored and maintained it well and the property was finally conveyed to the National Trust with an endowment from the sister of Baron Graham Ash of Packwood House (National Trust) and her daughter.