Due to Covid-19 restrictions, venues and exhibitions are closed until further notice. We recommend checking with the venues' own websites for up-to-date information. The Assembly Rooms, originally built by John Wood the Younger between 1769 and 1771, and frequently mentioned by Jane Austen in her novels, and by Charles Dickens in 'The Pickwick Papers', were rescued in 1931 from their division and decline into shops and a cinema, by the great Bath collector and benefactor, Ernest Cook (who was also responsible for saving Montacute). After the seven-year restoration of its great complex of rooms by the City of Bath, they were re-opened, but were bombed in 1942. The main walls remained, and so the rooms were restored immaculately and re-opened again in 1963. Bath and North East Somerset Council has used the rooms for the kind of purpose for which they were intended since then, adorned with portraits of its own and others lent by the National Trust.
National Trust, Bath Assembly Rooms
Bennett Street, Bath, Somerset BA1 2QH England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit
14 July 2020
Wooded paths wind through @TrengwaintonNT climbing to sea views across Mount's Bay On the way back down, a stream garden & open meadows are waiting to be discovered https://t.co/YxztT3nPfP #Accessibility: waterfall in the stream garden surrounded by purple and yellow plants https://t.co/C3kStX7avM