Hogarth's House in Chiswick, built around 1700, was the country home of the great painter, engraver and satirist William Hogarth (1697–1764) from 1749 until his death. Hogarth bought the house to act as his family’s country refuge, a weekend and summer home, away from the noise of his other home in what is now Leicester Square. Hogarth’s House holds an extensive collection of the artist’s eighteenth-century prints, of which a selection will always be on display, and a set of his engraving plates. Lieutenant-Colonel Shipway rescued the house and opened it to the public as a museum in 1904. The Gallery in the former kitchen wing will show an exciting new programme of exhibitions. Shipway gave the house to Middlesex County Council in 1909 and ownership passed in 1965 to Hounslow Council. The house was refurbished in 1996–1997 to mark the tercentenary of Hogarth's birth, and again in 2008–2011 thanks to a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and support from the London Borough of Hounslow.