Dulwich Picture Gallery houses one of the world's most important collections of European old master paintings of the 1600s and 1700s. It is England’s first purpose-built public art gallery: it was founded in 1811 when Sir Francis Bourgeois, RA, bequeathed his collection of Old Master paintings 'for the inspection of the public'. The Gallery was designed by Regency architect Sir John Soane and its collection is especially rich in French, Italian and Spanish Baroque paintings and in British portraits from Tudor times to the nineteenth century and includes major works by Rembrandt van Rijn, Peter Paul Rubens, Anthony van Dyck, Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Nicolas Poussin, Claude Lorrain, Guercino, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Jean-Antoine Watteau, Canaletto and Thomas Gainsborough, and one of the most remarkable collections of Dutch landscapes outside Holland. It is an independent charitable trust and is not in receipt of any regular government funding. Around 350 works are on permanent display, and more are also on public display as long-term loans to other institutions and National Trust properties (Tredegar House and Osterley Park). Must see paintings include 'Girl at a Window' by Rembrandt, 'The Triumph of David' by Poussin and 'Three Boys' by Murillo. Three special exhibitions a year attract new visitors through their intimate ambiance, original themes and focus on artists rarely seen in the UK.