The Workhouse opened in 1840, closed in 1948 but continued to be used as a hospital until 1991. A group of local historians managed to save some of the original Workhouse building from demolition and this is where the Museum is now housed. The Museum occupies two floors of the old Workhouse building and opened in 1997. At present the exhibition includes ‘The Atlantic Memorial’, dealing with the extensive part played by Derry during World War II. Artefacts and archives are also on display throughout the building relating to Workhouse life, and the Famine.
23 Glendermott Road, Waterside, County Londonderry BT48 6BG Northern Ireland
028 7131 8328http://www.derrycity.gov.uk/Museums/Heritage-and-Museum-Service
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit