Wilberforce House Museum, former home of the anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce, was built in 1660. It is one of nine sites that constitute Hull City Council Museums. Opened as a museum in 1906, it houses important items relating to Wilberforce, including his clothes and journal. It also tells the story of the slave trade, such as life on a plantation, transportation and the abolition campaign.
The art collection is quite small but includes portraits of William Wilberforce throughout his life, depictions of slave ships and slaves. Highlights are 'The Captive Slave' by John Simpson c.1825, showing a portrait of a black man with chains around his wrists, and also 'The Slave Trade' by François Auguste Biard c.1833, of white men and black slaves on the west coast of Africa.