Wigan Town Hall is the seat of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan and is housed in the former Wigan Mining and Technical College, built in 1903. The council relocated from the old mid-nineteenth century town hall in 1990. The building, of ornate terracotta, contains some superb stained glass windows and a collection of civic regalia, including a seventeenth-century mace and a state sword given to Wigan by Charles II in gratitude for the town’s support of his father during the Civil War. The Council chamber also displays a magnificent painting, Going North by George Earl, detailing the departure of wealthy people from Kings Cross Railway Station for the hunting season in Scotland. The railway platform is crowded with people, furs, dogs and fishing tackle.
Wigan Town Hall
Library Street, Wigan, Greater Manchester WN1 1YN England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit
Wigan Town Hall is part of