Wesley House, a Theological College in Cambridge, has been serving the Methodist Church since 1921. It works in partnership with the University of Cambridge, Anglia Ruskin University and the Cambridge Theological Federation. The College was founded and endowed by Michael Gutteridge, a Methodist businessman in Naples, well-known in Italy for philanthropy. There is a fine portrait of him by Arthur Trevethin Nowell. The chair of Systematics and Pastoral Theology was held by the first principal, Dr Henry Maldwyn Hughes, from 1921 to 1937. He was the author of several works on Christian belief and his portrait by Frank Salisbury hangs with that of Reverend Robert Newton Flew, who succeeded Hughes both as principal and professor. Flew, Principal from 1937 to 1955, was one of the moving forces behind the establishment of the World Council of Churches. The three-sided court fronted by iron gates and railings was enclosed in 1973 by a new building housing flats for married students and a lecture theatre. It is stressed that the paintings at Wesley House are not in public ownership. In accordance with the charitable aims of the College, which is a private institution, we are including our paintings on this website to widen public awareness and for the benefit of scholarship.
Wesley House, University of Cambridge
Jesus Lane, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB5 8BJ England
01223 741 033http://www.wesley.cam.ac.uk
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit