The University of Birmingham was founded in 1900 and began its art collection by commissioning portraits of distinguished University figures such as chancellors, vice-chancellors, benefactors and pioneering academics.
The collection has grown from this initial core into an important group of works in which portraiture is complemented by contemporary painting and includes works by Peter Lanyon, Barbara Hepworth and William Gear.
The Campus Collection of Fine and Decorative Art is dispersed around the University buildings, as well as being displayed throughout departments and indoor spaces. They include works with emblematic and commemorative purpose and their placement in these University spaces encourages unexpected creative dialogues or responses. In public spaces, the Collection reaches people who may never venture into an art gallery.
Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands B15 2TT England
0121 414 6750
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue