Robert Eglesfield, chaplain of Queen Philippa the Patroness, founded The Queen’s College in 1341 with endowments from Edward III and the Queen. Throughout its nearly 700 year history, the Founder, Queen Philippa and subsequent Patronesses, Provosts, Fellows, Benefactors and famous Old Members of the College have been commemorated by the collection of portraits in the college. The pictures have been acquired through gifts from Provosts, Fellows, Old Members and friends of the College, as well as by commissions and purchases by the College itself. The college now appears to be of comparatively recent age because all the medieval buildings were replaced by the present baroque designs in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century. It is stressed that the paintings at The Queen’s College, Oxford are not in public ownership. In accordance with the charitable aims of the College, which is a private institution, its collection is included on this website to widen public awareness and for the benefit of scholarship.
The paintings are hung throughout the College, mainly in private areas, with only those in the Hall and the Chapel being on public view. Access to paintings, other than those in the Hall or Chapel, is normally reserved to those involved in academic research, who should apply to: Curator of the Pictures, The Queen’s College, Oxford, OX1 4AW.