The Museum of the Cumbraes is located in the historic Garrison House. Garrison House was originally built around 1745 by Captain James Crawford to house the crew of the Revenue Cutter Royal George. It was then purchased by George Boyle, 4th Earl of Glasgow, in 1819 and enlarged to become a family residence. During the twentieth century it had many uses; a hydropathic institution, convalescence hospital, burgh chambers and museum. In 1997 it was vacated and suffered an arson attack in 2001 but re-opened in 2008 after restoration funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Today it forms the heart of Cumbrae’s community and houses a museum, library, council services, café and NHS centre.
The Museum of the Cumbraes
Garrison House Millport, Isle of Cumbrae, North Ayrshire KA28 0GD Scotland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit