Temple Newsam House is a magnificent Tudor-Jacobean house and was the birthplace of Lord Darnley, the infamous husband of Mary Queen of Scots. For 300 years it was also the home of the Ingram family until it was bought by Leeds City Council from Lord Halifax in 1922. Inside, 30 interior rooms display great paintings, renowned furniture (including masterpieces by Chippendale), sumptuous textiles, silver, porcelain and Leeds pottery. The house reopened its door to visitors in 2005 following a two-year restoration programme supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Several interiors have been newly redecorated to their appropriate historic appearance and displays include many new acquisitions. There is a regular programme of exhibitions and new displays.
Temple Newsam House, Leeds Museums and Galleries
Temple Newsam Road, off Selby Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS15 0AE England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit