Strangeways Research Laboratory was ‘born’ in 1905 as a small research hospital founded by Thomas Strangeways in Hartington Grove, Cambridge. The hospital moved to its current location in Worts Causeway in 1912 and was renamed the Strangeways Research Laboratory in 1928. The Laboratory has had a distinguished history as a centre for research into rheumatoid arthritis and other connective tissue disorders. Since 1997, however, the building has been a centre for genetic epidemiology. The Strangeways Trust was set up as an independent charity. The sole trustee is now the University of Cambridge with the building housing the Department of Public Health and Primary Care. The Department now manages the site on behalf of the Clinical School. Of the four pictures at the Laboratory, one features Dr Strangeways painted in 1927 by D. Hamshere and two others depict Dame Honor Bridget Fell, Director of the Laboratory. The Strangeways Laboratory is not open to the public.
Strangeways Research Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Worts Causeway, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB1 8RN England
01223 740 182http://www.phpc.cam.ac.uk/
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit