County Buildings, designed by architect Henry Hare, was opened in 1895, six years after Staffordshire County Council was formed. A competition was organised to find an architect, in which the Council requested 'good, thoroughly businesslike offices'. The winning design was by Henry Thomas Hare, who was awarded £150. The building itself was constructed by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton and took two years to build. The building was lit by electricity, at a time when many public buildings were lit by gas, and the Council Chamber was equipped with an early air conditioning system, still in use today.
Staffordshire County Buildings
Martin Street, Stafford, Staffordshire ST16 2LH England
0300 111 8000http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit