The Southwark Art Collection contains over 5,000 items including coins and medals, ceramics, prints and drawings and over 300 oil paintings dating from the seventeenth century through to contemporary artworks. The collection was established as a series of exhibitions in 1878 and soon became a permanent collection comprising gifts, bequests and later acquisitions. The collection was officially opened as the South London Gallery in 1891. Like most museums and galleries in this country, the collection is indebted to the Art Fund and the Contemporary Art Society. In 2003 the South London Gallery became an independent charitable trust. The permanent collection is currently managed by Southwark Council’s Arts and Heritage unit at the Cuming Museum. Highlights of the painting collection include works by John Piper, Stanley Spencer and Ethel Gabain as well as a strong collection of local Southwark and Camberwell artists. It also has an especially fine Arts and Crafts period collection including ceramics by the Martin brothers, William de Morgan and paintings by Evelyn De Morgan and Walter Crane.
Walworth Road, London, Greater London SE17 1RY England
020 7525 2332
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue