The teaching of medicine at the University of Cambridge dates back to 1540 when Henry VIII endowed the University’s first Professorship of Physic, Dr John Blyth. Today’s Addenbrooke’s Hospital was opened on its present Hills Road site by the Queen in 1962. In 1976 in response to the recommendation of the Royal Commission on Medical Education in the late 1960s, a complete medical course was re-established in Cambridge with the opening of the School of Clinical Medicine at the new Hospital site. On 21st November 1980, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and Chancellor of the University of Cambridge officially opened the Clinical School Building which presently accommodates the medical library, lecture theatres and seminar rooms. The School benefits from the loan of two portraits by the Medical Research Foundation, that painted by Philip Alexius de László, of 'Lady Wadia' in 1930, is notable. The Clinical School is not open to the public.
School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge
Hills Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB2 0SP England
01223 336 700http://www.medschl.cam.ac.uk
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit