Scarborough Art Gallery was originally built in 1845 as a house for local solicitor and Town Clerk, John Uppleby. After several changes of private ownership it was bought by Scarborough Borough Council in 1942 and used as a welfare clinic and children’s nursery. In February 1947, it was decided that the building would be turned into an art gallery and on 17th November of the same year it opened its doors to the public.
The ground floor has two galleries devoted to the permanent display of the Scarborough Collections and a community gallery open to local groups wishing to exhibit work, while the first floor hosts four temporary exhibitions a year combining pieces from the central collection and loans from both other institutions and private lenders.
The Gallery also has a lively programme of talks and family activities linked to the collections, temporary exhibitions and national events.