The Royal College of Psychiatrists sets standards and promotes excellence in psychiatry and mental healthcare; leads, represents and supports psychiatrists; and works with service users, carers and their organisations. The College has been in existence since 1841, initially as the Association of Medical Officers of Asylums and Hospitals of the Insane, then as the Medico-Psychological Association. In 1926, after receiving the Royal Charter, it became the Royal Medico-Psychological Association and in 1971, the Royal College of Psychiatrists, when it received the Supplemental Charter. The College has a small but growing collection of portraits and paintings, including the presidents’ portraits, commissioned at the end of each three-year term of office. Other works of art were acquired through donations to the College. The most notable donation is the portrait of HRH The Prince of Wales, Patron of the College.