Regent’s Park College began as a Baptist Education Society in London in 1752, occupying sites in Stepney and Regent’s Park before moving to Oxford in 1927 and becoming a Permanent Private Hall of the University of Oxford in 1957. It is also home to The Angus Library and Archive which is a leading collection of Baptist and non-conformist history and heritage worldwide. The paintings in the College reflect this non-conformist heritage, being almost entirely portraits of missionaries, preachers, former Principals and tutors of the College, and benefactors of the College and other Baptist organisations, particularly the Baptist Missionary Society. While none of the artists are outstanding, portraits of John Bunyan, William Kiffin, William Carey, Sir Henry Havelock, and Sir Samuel Morton Peto are all of interest to an audience outside the non-conformist world. It is stressed that the paintings at Regent's Park College are not in public ownership. In accordance with the charitable aims of the College, which is a private institution, we are including our paintings on this website to widen public awareness and for the benefit of scholarship. The paintings are hung in various locations throughout the College which are used in normal College life and are therefore not available to the public. Requests for access should be addressed to the Personal Assistant to the Principal, Regent’s Park College, Pusey Street, Oxford, OX1 2LB.
Regent's Park College, University of Oxford
Pusey Street, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 3UG England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit