Provand’s Lordship is a rare example of 15th century Scottish domestic architecture and a Grade A listed building. Dating to 1471, it is the oldest building in Glasgow except for the cathedral. It is now open to the public as a museum.
Provand’s Lordship houses a collection of Scottish 17th-century furniture donated by Sir William Burrell and includes displays about the history of the house and the surrounding area. Portraits include paintings of Mary, Queen of Scots, Lord Darnley and James VI.
Provand’s Lordship Garden, behind the house, was opened in 1995. It contains a knot garden and herb beds commemorating links during the medieval period between Provand’s Lordship and the nearby St Nicholas’s Hospital. In a covered cloister area there are grotesque heads, dating from 1737, which originally formed the arch keystones of the Tontine Hotel.