Preston Hall Museum is a Grade II listed building built in 1825 by David Burton Fowler and set 100 acres of parkland. The Hall became a Museum in 1953 in celebration of the Coronation of the Queen. The Museum was later extended with the addition of a Victorian-period street and restoration of the Winter Garden. Preston Hall Museum now houses over 100,000 objects of local and national importance. The collections range from fine art to ceramics, toys, archaeology, social history, military, costume and ephemera.
The art collection has around 500 pieces. The highlight of the oil collection is the ‘Dice Players’ by George de La Tour, while highlights from the later watercolour collection include artists such as J. M. W. Turner, Angelica Kauffmann and Thomas Girtin. In addition there are also a variety of pictures which relate to Stockton and local artists, together with a collection of watercolours from the Museum founding bequest of Colonel Spence which records the First World War in watercolour.
Alongside the permanent collections and a programme of temporary exhibitions, the Museum runs a comprehensive Learning and Outreach Programme for schools, families, and adults.
Yarm Road, Stockton-on-Tees, Tees Valley TS18 3RH England
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue