Pollok House is an 18th-century Palladian mansion in the south side of Glasgow. Among the exhibits displayed is an important collection of Spanish paintings.
Pollok House, together with the walled garden around it and the surrounding land that now forms Pollok Country Park, was given to the City of Glasgow by Mrs Anne Maxwell Macdonald. The house is now managed by the National Trust for Scotland on behalf of Glasgow City Council. A visit to the house gives a sense of life in a Scottish country house in the 1930s.
Pollok House displays collections of antique furniture, silverware, ceramics and fine art. The collection of Spanish paintings – one of the finest in Britain – includes El Greco’s enigmatic ‘Lady in a Fur Wrap’ and works by Coello and Murillo. There are also religious visionary works by William Blake and his remarkable ‘Canterbury Pilgrims’.
The gardens include more than 1,000 cultivated varieties of rhododendron and a heritage beech tree. Please note Pollok House be closing on 20th November 2023 for two years for a major conservation project led by Glasgow City Council.
Pollok Country Park, 2060 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G43 1AT Scotland
0141 616 6410
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue
Archibald Stirling of Keir (1867–1931)Francis John Williamson (1833–1920)
Charles II (1661–1700), King of SpainJuan Carreño de Miranda (1614–1685)
Cardinal Infante Fernando of Austria (1609–1641)Gaspar de Crayer (1584–1669) (and studio)
Flower PieceWilliam Bruce Ellis Ranken (1881–1941)
Landscape with FiguresJuan Bautista Martínez del Mazo (1612–1667) (attributed to)
Captain Robert Maxwell (1770–1796)David Martin (1737–1797)
Madonna and Child with Infant Saint John, 'La serrana'Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (1617–1682)