The Guildhall in Plympton dates from 1688 and was the seat of civic proceedings in Plympton for hundreds of years. The hall remains today with Main Hall and Council Chamber administered by Plymouth City Council. The paintings on display in Plympton St Maurice represent a history of local councillors in the area through their portraits commissioned and subsequently donated to the City, dating back to the 17th century.
Of particular interest is the Guildhall’s link to Sir Joshua Reynolds who was born and resided in Plympton as well as presiding as Mayor. Works include two portraits of Reynolds by Maria Jones and Millington dating from the 1700s, as well as a reproduction by the British (English) School of Fanny Reynolds (his youngest sister).