Number 3 Elliot Terrace, The Hoe, was erected in the late 19th century by John Pethick, a leading Victorian property developer and was acquired in 1908 by Waldorf Astor who had come to Plymouth as a Unionist Parliamentary Candidate. In 1919, his wife Lady Nancy Astor became MP for Plymouth Sutton and the first female MP. Before her death, Lady Astor gave 3 Elliot Terrace to the City as a residence for future Lord Mayors. Elliott Terrace is now home to some of the City’s civic collections as well as works on loan from Plymouth City Council: The Box. Many items belonged to the Astor family and were subsequently added to by Plymouth’s Lord Mayors. The works on display here are largely maritime scenes of Plymouth by artists including William Gibbons and Thomas Luny. Two portraits of Lady Astor herself remain, including one by Leeson Everrett and a famous scene of Lady Astor being introduced to the House of Commons by Lloyd George upon taking her seat by F. H. S. Shepherd.
Plymouth City Council: 3 Elliot Terrace
3 Elliot Terrace, Plymouth, Devon PL1 2AA England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit