Now run by an independent charitable trust, Paxton House was designed by John Adam for the young Patrick Home of Billie, building began in 1758 using local sandstone. The collection includes some of the elegant clothes he wore at the Prussian court, including a costume for the Berlin Carousel of 1750. The house has one of the largest Chippendale commissions in Scotland comprising bedroom furniture, dining and drawing room suites purchased between the 1770s and 1790s by Ninian Home who had bought the house from his cousin. The public rooms were decorated by Robert Adam. A library and picture gallery were added by an Edinburgh architect, Robert Reid, for George Home when he inherited from his brother. On completion in 1814 it was furnished by William Trotter, and a fine collection, including a sofa, viewing couches and chairs, remains in the house, together with specimen tables, the tops for which were bought in Italy in the 1770s.