Newnham began in 1871, in a house for five students in Regent Street in Cambridge, rented to enable young women who could not travel in and out of Cambridge on a daily basis to attend the 'Lectures for Ladies' that had started the previous year. Demand increased and Newnham Hall opened in 1875, the first building on the site where the College remains. Newnham continues to be a women's college dedicated to the charitable purposes of education, learning and research. For the most part, Newnham’s paintings represent donations and bequests made by alumnae and benefactors although portrait commissions are undertaken by the College from time to time. The paintings are hung throughout the College, mainly in private areas. Access to our paintings is normally limited to those involved in academic research, although other requests will be considered as sympathetically as possible. Application to view any of the paintings should be made to: the Secretary, Valuable Possessions Committee. It is stressed that the paintings belonging to Newnham College are not in public ownership but are included on this website for the furtherance of online research.
Newnham College, University of Cambridge
Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB3 9DF England
01223 335 700http://www.newn.cam.ac.uk
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit