The origins of Newcastle University go back to 1834; in 1937 its two colleges became King's College, Durham University and in 1963 it became the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. The University's main art collection is in the Hatton Gallery, situated in the old Quadrangle: an impressive collection including paintings by Francis Bacon, Palma Giovane, Camillo Procaccini, Patrick Heron, William Roberts and Richard Ansdell. In addition, a variety of paintings are scattered throughout the campus, reflecting the history of the institution and its staff. Some works show local views, the most impressive being John Wilson Carmichael's view 'The High Level Bridge, from Gateshead, Tyne and Wear'. Others include portraits of staff in the Medical and Dental Schools; of Robert and George Stephenson in Engineering; of Earl Grey, Sir James Knott and the Cowen family in English and the Library; of ships in Marine Science and Technology; and of Chancellors and Vice-Chancellors in King's Hall. Lecturers within the Fine Art Department are also represented through works by Roger de Grey, Kenneth Rowntree, Matt Rugg and Derwent Wise.
Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE1 7RU England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit