Uppark House was originally built by Ford Grey (1655–1701), 1st Earl of Tankerville. It has now been restored to its former glory after a devastating fire in 1989. Its impressive Grand Tour collection was put together between 1748 and 1753 by Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh (1714–1774), 1st Bt, and his wife’s brother, the Huguenot Benjamin Lethieullier, and his half-brother-in-law Lascelles Iremonger. It includes the Batoni pictures, sets of pictures by Vernet, Canaletto, Tommaso Ruiz, Zuccarelli and six scenes from ‘The Parable of the Prodigal Son’ by Luca Giordano. Uppark was inherited by Frances Bullock (1818–1895), the sister of the dairy-maid wife of Sir Henry Fetherstonhaugh (1754–1846), 2nd Bt. She left it to the younger sons of noble friends, first to the childless Lieutenant-Colonel the Honourable Keith Turnour (1848–1930), and then to Admiral the Honourable Sir Herbert Meade (1875–1964), each of whom assumed the name Fetherstonhaugh. In 1954, it was given to the National Trust, with the surrounding land, by the Admiral and his son Richard Meade-Fetherstonhaugh (1914–1958).
National Trust, Uppark
South Harting, Petersfield, Hampshire GU31 5QR England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit