National Trust, Tintinhull

Image credit: National Trust Images/Paul Mogford

More about

Tintinhull House is an early seventeenth-century building, with a facade from around 1700, and a staircase and some rooms from later in the century. It was the seat of the Nappers, a branch of the Napiers of Merchiston, near Edinburgh, the first of whom, James, acquired it from Sir William Petre in the time of Henry VII. The estate was sold in 1798, after which the house declined to a farmhouse, but in the twentieth century its owner, Mrs Phyllis Reiss, created a beautiful formal garden around it. In 1954, she gave the house, garden and some of its contents to the National Trust. There are very few paintings: an unusual larger-than-life 'Vase of Flowers with an Owl and a Lapwing' in a black-and-white-tiled room and two seventeenth-century Spanish still lifes which are rich in detail. Its garden became even more celebrated in the hands of its tenant between 1980 and 1993, the internationally-renowned garden designer and author Penelope Hobhouse, who had previously created the garden at Hadspen House.

Farm Street, Tintinhull, Yeovil, Somerset BA22 8PZ England

01935 823289

For opening times of the garden please see our website. The house is not open to the public, please go to for further information.