The Greyfriars, in Friar Street, Worcester, is a timber-framed merchant’s house next to the Franciscan friary, with a serene walled garden behind, that was built in 1480. The survival of the house is largely due to Mr Matley Moore, a driving force in preserving the ancient buildings in the city, along with the Worcestershire Archaeological Society, and his sister, Elsie Moore, who was a conservator of wall paintings, church monuments and textile design, as well as being an expert on mediaeval tiles. They gave The Greyfriars to the National Trust in 1966 and died in 1982 and 1985 respectively but, according to their wishes, it has been tenanted ever since to maintain a domestic atmosphere rather than turning it into a museum. The rustic picture of 'A Small Boy Standing at the Gate of a Ruined Cottage' by Benjamin Williams Leader reflects this.
National Trust, The Greyfriars
Friar Street, Worcester, Worcestershire WR1 2LZ England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit