St Michael’s Mount, given to the National Trust by the 3rd Baron St Levan in 1954, is connected to the mainland by a causeway, and is cut off by the tide twice a day. It has been the seat of the St Aubyns ever since Colonel John St Aubyn (1610–1684), bought it from Francis Basset, its former defender, in 1659 and is still administered by the family who own the paintings. Many of its heirlooms found their way to Pencarrow in Cornwall, because Sir John St Aubyn (1758–1839), 5th Bt, died leaving 15 illegitimate children, but no heir to the baronetcy. The National Trust owns only two pictures here, commissioned by its Foundation for Art: Ken Howard’s 'Morning, Marazion Beach Scene with St Michael's Mount, Cornwall, in the Distance' and Helen Elwes’ 'Frank O'Donnell, Head Boatman at St Michael's Mount, Cornwall'.
National Trust, St Michael's Mount
Marazion, Cornwall TR17 0HT England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit