Sizergh Castle, occupied by the Stricklands since the thirteenth century and expanded on in the sixteenth century, was donated to the National Trust by Henry Hornyold-Strickland (1890–1975) with the consent of his son, Lieutenant-Commander Thomas Hornyold-Strickland, in 1950. The latter’s widow, née Angela Engleheart, still lives there. The notable inlaid chamber, of around 1575–1585, with its exceptionally rich panelling, bed and stained glass, was returned to the castle by the Victoria and Albert Museum, just over 100 years after it had been sold off. Sizergh was once a recusant house with close links to the exiled court of James VII & II at St Germain, expressed by the group of pictures in the Dining Room, still in their original French frames, all but one of which are of King James and his family.
Sizergh, near Kendal, Cumbria LA8 8AE England
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue