Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

Close
National Trust, Powis Castle
National Trust, Powis Castle

Photo credit: National Trust Images/Andrew Butler

Powis Castle, a red fortress overlooking the Severn Valley, was accepted by HM Treasury in 1963, the contents of which were transferred to the National Trust then, or later in 1992. It has a furnished state bedroom, a grand staircase with the ceiling painted by Verrio between 1674–1685 for William Herbert, 3rd Lord Powis, 1st Marquess and 1st Duke of Powis and the walls, by Lanscroon, for the second Duke, in 1705 and a long gallery with family portraits dating from the seventeenth century. Many of the paintings bought by Robert Clive of India (1725–1774), just five years before he committed suicide, have now been dispersed but those notable still at Powis are: the 'View of Verona from the Ponte Nuovo' by Bernardo Bellotto – offered for sale in 1981 when its acquisition was made possible by grants from National Heritage Memorial Fund, the National Art Collections Fund (the Art Fund) (including from the Wolfson Foundation) and the Victoria & Albert Museum Purchase Grand Fund – Andrea Brescianino’s 'The Madonna and Child with Putti' and Jan Baptist Weenix’s vast 'Still Life of Dead Game in a Landscape with Huntsman'.

National Trust, Powis Castle

Visit venue's website

National Trust, Powis Castle is managed by National Trust

National Trust is an Art UK Founder Partner

National Trust, Powis Castle

Welshpool, Powys SY21 8RF Wales

powiscastle@nationaltrust.org.uk

01938 551929

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/powis-castle

Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit