Plas Newydd (New Mansion), on the Menai Straits, transformed between 1793 and the 1820s, was the seat of the Griffith, Bagenal and Bayly families and subsequently the Pagets. After Beaudesart, Staffordshire was abandoned, the 6th Marquess (1885–1947) and his wife, Lady Majorie Manners (1883–1946) brought Plas Newydd to life. They altered the Saloon to take the four enormous pastoral scenes, of 1789, by the Flemish artist Balthazar Paul Ommeganck and commissioned, in 1936, Rex Whistler’s longest mural, a huge architectural capriccio of an Italian seaport, in the dining room. An adjoining museum, acquired by the National Trust, since the death of Laurence Whistler (1912–2000), displays his brother’s artistic range. Also of interest are the eight battles scenes by Louis Laguerre. Portraits range from those of 'William Paget (1505/1506–1663), 1st Baron Paget de Beaudesert, KG', through to Sir Thomas Lawrence’s portrait of Field Marshal Sir Henry William Paget (1768–1854) – who lost his leg at the Battle of Waterloo – to a few Hoppners, and those of James Jebusa Shannon.
National Trust, Plas Newydd
Llanfairpwll, Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn) LL61 6DQ Wales
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit
23 June 2021
This week (19 - 27 June) is #NationalPicnicWeek The garden here at Plas Newydd offers plenty of open space, benches and picnic tables up by the Visitor Centre. Bring along a blanket, a picnic and some good company and you're all set for a bit of 'al fresco' dining! #picnic https://t.co/xuiQWFlQxI