Paycocke’s, in Coggeshall, Essex, is an ornate, timber-framed merchant’s house, built around 1509–1510 for Thomas Paycocke, a wealthy cloth merchant, and his wife Margaret Harrold. It has been described as one of the finest examples of domestic Perpendicular architecture in England. The house remained in the family until 1584, when it was sold to the Buxton family, relatives through marriage. The Buxtons sold the house in 1746 but, in 1904, it was acquired by a descendant, the politician and philanthropist Noel Edward (1869–1948), 1st Lord Noel-Buxton, who restored the house, using the best Edwardian craftsmanship, and who gave it to the National Trust in 1924. Originally given unfurnished, the majority of the furniture and a number of pictures have come subsequently in the 1960s from the bequest of Emily Grigsby. Further pieces of furniture, a collection of ceramics and a couple of pictures came from the estate of the architect Marshall Arnott Sisson (1897–1978), RA, notably the unusual late sixteenth-century French painting of an 'Allegory of Folly, with Old Testament Citations'.