Lodge Park was built for the hunchbacked gambler John ‘Crump’ Dutton (1594–1656/1657), in the early 1630s, as a grandstand for watching deer-coursing, and a lodge for entertaining, dining and drinking. Therefore it should not have any paintings at all. The lodged belonged to Sherborne House, built for Thomas Dutton (1506/1507–1581), ‘Crump’ Dutton’s grandfather, younger son of an obscure Cheshire squire and inherited by Crump’s nephew, Sir Ralph Dutton (d.1720/1721), 1st Bt. After the sport had gone well out of fashion and Sherborne House had been sold, John (1779–1862), 2nd Baron Sherborne reduced the lodge to a small house, then calling it Lodge Park, and taking some of the family portraits and sporting pictures to it. By the time it and the village were left to the National Trust by the childless and penultimate Baron Sherborne (1911–1982), no original features were left internally. Particularly appropriate to Lodge Park, given its origins, is the enigmatic picture, attributed to Robert Edge Pine of 'The Backgammon Trio'.
National Trust, Lodge Park and Sherborne Estate
Lodge Park, Aldsworth, near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL54 3PP England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit