Due to Covid-19 restrictions, venues and exhibitions are closed until further notice. We recommend checking with the venues' own websites for up-to-date information. The last working mill on the Great Ouse, Houghton Mill, in its present incarnation, was probably built in the mid-seventeenth century. It was extended in the nineteenth century when it was under the ownership of Potto Brown and Joseph Goodman, both of whom were philanthropists as well as millers. The Brown family had run the Mill from 1797, but it was Potto who transformed the business and the working methods; the reasons for which were much influenced by his Quaker faith. The Mill, with only two twentieth-century painted views of Houghton, was decommissioned and given to the National Trust in 1939 by the Great River Ouse Catchment Board, in cooperation with the Borough Councils of Huntingdon and Godmanchester, and endowed by Lieutenant Colonel Louis Tebbutt, grandson of Mr Goodman. The Miller’s House and river frontage were acquired in 1982, chiefly through a gift from Miss Sheila Day.
National Trust, Houghton Mill
Houghton, near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire PE28 2AZ England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit