The Georgian House at No.7 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, was built in 1796 for John Lamont, 18th Chief of the Clan Lamont, and he lived here with his family until 1815. The house has been magnificently restored to show a typical Edinburgh New Town House of the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century. The fine collection of period furniture, porcelain, paintings, silver and glass reflects the lifestyle and social and economic conditions of the time. Charlotte Square was conceived by the architect Robert Adam (1728–1792), as an expression of the Georgian ideal in the centre of Edinburgh. Adam was without doubt the leading architect in eighteenth-century Scotland, and though many of his works are sited in England, Charlotte Square is his finest and most mature urban work, and certainly the most complete survival.
National Trust for Scotland, The Georgian House
7 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH2 4DR Scotland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit