National Trust, Cotehele

Image credit: National Trust Images/Andrew Butler

More about

Cotehele, near the River Tamar, and occupied since 1353 by the Edgcumbes, was appreciated such that it received three Royal visits, including Prince Edward in 1759 and Queen Charlotte in 1789. In 1947, Kenelm (1873–1965), 6th Earl, surrendered it, after the death of his childless cousin, Piers (1865–1944), 5th Earl, to the Treasury. Cotehele was transferred to the National Trust and was the first historic property to be acquired on part-payment of the death duties. Except for two sixteenth-century Flemish religious paintings and an interesting late eighteenth-century painting of the tomb, destroyed in the French Revolution, of Sir Richard Edgcumbe (d.1489) at Morlaix in Brittany, very few pictures remain. A pair of oak panels, recorded as being in the chapel in 1875, but called ‘The Westminster Panels', as they bear the shields of arms of Westminster Abbey and George Fascet, the Abbott of Westminster, and depicting the Archangel Gabriel and the Virgin standing on plinths, of 1498–1500, were recently acquired in 2006 for the Museum of London.

St Dominick, near Saltash, Cornwall PL12 6TA England

01579 351346

For opening times of the house please see our website.