Castle Drogo, built for the grocer Julius Drewe (1856–1931) – believing he was descended from the Drewes of Broadhembury, and before that from a descendent of a Norman baron Dru or Drogo de Teign (he added the ‘e’ to his name after 1910) – was the first twentieth-century building to be accepted by the National Trust. The magnificent castle, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869–1944), was generously given to the Trust by Julius’s grandson, Anthony Drewe, and his son, Christopher, in 1974, but the stark interiors came with few paintings. Most are family portraits, including three of Julius, his wife, and their daughter painted by Charles Hardie, from their former home Wadhurst Hall, Sussex, Anthony Drewe (1920–1991), MC, aged 70 by Binny Mathews (b.1960), commissioned by the Trust’s Foundation for Art in 1989 and Basil Drewe (1894–1974) in front of the entrance hall fireplace by Carel Victor Morlais Weight (1908–1997) which depicts two of the three seventeenth-century dummy boards, called silent companions.
National Trust, Castle Drogo
Drawsteignton, near Exeter, Devon EX6 6PB England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit