Based in Edinburgh, the National Records of Scotland (NRS) has one of the most varied collections of archives in the British Isles. It is the main archive for sources of the history of Scotland as a separate kingdom, her role in the British Isles and the links between Scotland and many other countries over the centuries. On 1st April 2011 the General Register Office for Scotland merged with the National Archives of Scotland (NAS) to form the National Records of Scotland (NRS). Before 1999, the NAS was known as the Scottish Record Office, whose antecedents in turn date back to the thirteenth century.
General Register House (GRH) can be found at the east end of Princes Street in Edinburgh's city centre. Designed by Robert Adam in 1774, GRH is the oldest purpose-built public record repository in the British Isles. It remains the head office of the National Records of Scotland (NRS). There are two groups of paintings in the collection: 1) portraits of late eighteenth and early nineteenth-century record officials connected with GRH; and 2) portraits of nineteenth and early twentieth-century ministers and office-bearers of Broughton Place Church (Church of Scotland), Edinburgh, which were deposited with the NRS along with the Kirk Session records. There is also a full-length marble statue by Anne Damer of George III (1794), who approved the funding for the building of General Register House in 1765.