Nairn Museum is located in a large house built in 1803, later the home of James Augustus Grant, sponsor of his namesake on the expedition with Speke to find the source of the Nile. Although small, the collection of paintings reflects, to a large extent, the importance of the fishing industry to the town’s history. Many of its paintings depict vessels which fished from Nairn in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They also capture people associated with the industry and the local scenery of the Fishertown. Several are of previous town dignitaries – these hung in the Court House until donated to the museum on long-term loan by Highland Council. Most important among these is the painting of James Augustus Grant, who bought the house on his return from India, having risen to the post of Judge with the East India Company. Recently a large painting of local grocers Ronnie and Alan Watson, by Jason Walker, has claimed pride of place in the stairwell of the museum.
Viewfield House, Viewfield Drive, Nairn, Highland IV12 4EE Scotland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit