Milford House

Milford House

Open to the public

Historic house or home in County Armagh

22 artworks

Plan a visit

More about

Milford House is the former seat of the extraordinary McCrum one of Ulster's leading linen manufacturing dynasties, the proprietors of the celebrated linen manufacturing firm McCrum, Watson & Mercer. The house is the creation of Robert Garmany McCrum (1829–1915), JP, DL, a self made industrialist who was a genius with hydraulics- the revolutionised the linen industry by inventing double damask linen. Milford House was built between 1864 -1915. The house has twelve bedrooms, six bathrooms and even a proper waterfall in the Dining Room! The first private residence in Ireland to be lit with hydroelectricity it was the wonder of its age. The gardens and parkland include pleasure gardens, three walled gardens, tennis courts, a lake and rare trees from all over the world. Today it is world famous as the home of William McCrum (1865–1932) who invented the penalty kick rule in football. The family lost everything in the Wall Street crash. From 1936 to 1965 it was home to Manor House School- Northern only country house residential school for girls. Today the property is one of the top ten listed buildings at most serious risk in Northern Ireland. Milford Buildings Preservation Trust, a registered charity was established in 2000 by Stephen McManus to save Milford House and the McCrum family legacy for the benefit of the nation. The Trust runs a historic house which was the last home of William McCrum in Armagh city. The artworks are characteristic of Robert Garmay McCrum's collecting taste of contemporary 19th century paintings including pictures by Daniel Sherrin, Stewart Lloyd, Frederick Goodall and notably five paintings by DeBreanksi, some old masters by David Teniers & Antonio Amorisi and copies include 'Mother and Child' after Raphael. A wonderful collection of paintings by talented artist Peggy Miller (1900–1989) who married Willliam McCrum Miller (1900-1986), RM. There are also paintings from Manor House School. Of particular note are a painting by the artist Frank Eddington.

3 Victoria Street, Armagh, County Armagh BT61 9DS Northern Ireland

028 375 25467