The McKechnie Institute opened in 1889 thanks to the bequest of local businessman Thomas McKechnie. Its architectural style is Scottish Baronial with some Renaissance detailing. The ground floor originally contained a Library, Reading Room and Ladies Room. On the first floor was a billiards room and beyond that the Librarian’s House. A contemporary report states 'Every evening the places are all but crowded with labouring men, fishermen, tradesmen and others…' The McKechnie Institute remains a popular community venue to this day, showing exhibitions of items from the McKechnie and wider South Ayrshire collections, plus a variety of local themed and incoming exhibitions. Also, the McKechnie is the venue for many local group meetings, Councillor surgeries, art classes and much more.