Lincoln College was founded in 1427 for the defence of the Catholic faith by Richard Fleming, Bishop of Lincoln, who died before endowing it. This was rectified some 40 years later by another Bishop of Lincoln, Thomas Rotherham, although the college never became more than a very modest landowner. The initial foundation consisted of the lodge and the chambers over it, housing the Rector and the muniments. Over time the college site has expanded eastward and southwards, and now includes All Saints church and other buildings. The college has produced many distinguished divines. In the seventeenth century it benefitted from the generosity of John Williams, Bishop of Lincoln, who donated the Chapel, and of Nathaniel, Lord Crewe, briefly Rector (1668–1672) before becoming Bishop of Durham. In the eighteenth century John Wesley was a Fellow and set up the Holy Club here. In the twentieth century the college has been closely linked to the development of penicillin by Lord Florey, his team and successors.
It is stressed that the paintings at Lincoln College are not in public ownership. In accordance with the charitable aims of the College, which is a private institution, we are including our paintings on this website to widen public awareness and for the benefit of scholarship.
Access is for purposes of scholarly research only, by prior appointment, to be arranged with the Archivist.