The Highland Folk Museum was founded by Dr Isobel F. Grant in 1935. A pioneer in British folk life studies and author of ‘Highland Folk Ways’ (1961), Dr Grant was inspired by the Scandinavian open air museums movement. Her first museum opened on the Island of Iona. In 1939 it moved temporarily to Laggan, and then in 1943 Dr Grant bought Pitmain Lodge and grounds in Kingussie. The Highland Folk Museum opened on 1st June 1944, providing what she called ‘Am Fasgadh’ (The Shelter) for her collection. Three replica buildings were interpreted in a living history manner, so creating Britain’s first mainland open air museum. The Kingussie site closed in 2008. Today the Museum in Newtonmore is still home to Dr Grant’s collection. The objects, many of national and even international significance, form the ‘permanent’ collection held in trust for future generations. The Museum has a small and largely insignificant collection of paintings, prints, etchings, watercolours and drawings. These are mainly of value as topographical records or as documentation evidence of social history. The collection and facilities at this location are managed by High Life Highland on behalf of Highland Council.
Highland Folk Museum (High Life Highland)
Kingussie Road, Newtonmore, Highland PH20 1DY Scotland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit