Haverfordwest Town Museum holds a diverse collection of archaeology, photographs and paintings and is rich in social history artefacts. The Museum opened in 1996 as a registered charity, drawing the core of its collection from the former local authority museum which closed down in 1994. A number of donations and gifts have augmented the collection, and the assistance of grant aid has led to several significant acquisitions. The Museum reflects upon the 900 year history of Haverfordwest, one of Wales' most historic towns.
The collection records the rich associational civic life (through uniforms and regalia), together with finds from the excavations at the local Augustinian priory. Local industries are represented by a butter churn, clocks, furniture and other items of local manufacture. The Museum has a comprehensive range of Edwardian postcards which numbers several hundred recording events, buildings, crime, the castle and other important social themes.
Three significant items in the collection are 'Haverfordwest Priory' by Samuel Prout (c.1835) (watercolour), 'Haverfordwest Castle', by William Pitt (1872) and the charter of freedom of the borough granted to Admiral Horatio Nelson in 1802.