Harris Manchester College was originally founded as the Warrington Academy in 1757. The College was re-founded in Manchester in 1786 to train people for the learned professions and civil and commercial life. John Dalton, famous for his atomic theory, was appointed a Professor of the College in 1793. In 1840 the College received a Royal Letter in Council signed by Queen Victoria, making it a Collegiate Society of the University of London, with the same status as University College and King's College. In 1889, following an act of Parliament which abolished religious tests at Oxford, Cambridge and Durham Universities, the College moved to Oxford with the intention of joining the University of Oxford, but it was not until 1990 that the College became a Hall of the University of Oxford. Six years later the College was granted a Royal Charter and following a generous benefaction from Lord Harris and his family it became known as Harris Manchester College.
It is stressed that the paintings at Harris Manchester College are not in public ownership. In accordance with the charitable aims of the College, which is a private institution, we are including our paintings on this website to widen public awareness and for the benefit of scholarship.
To view any of the paintings please contact the College in advance.